Christy Stone, a 49-year-old mother from Clinton Township, Michigan, was devastated when the power in her house was turned off. The family was unable to afford the very expensive electric bill (it was $1,023!) but they desperately needed it. Her son, 18-year-old Troy Stone, suffers from Duchenne muscular dystrophy, and he relies on an electrically powered ventilator to “breathe and stay alive.”
The Stones were overwhelmed with medical costs, especially since they have anotherson who has muscular dystrophy as well. The power bill was beyond what they could afford.
When the power went off that day, the family panicked. They only had a few hours to get Troy to a hospital before it was too late.
Christy explains to ABC News, “The batteries only last a few hours on both of [the ventilators].”
They had to act fast, but then something remarkable happened. As Christy called 911, a firefighter named Ryan McCuen answered her call. He heard her situation and knew he had to help.
He did something completely unexpected.
“When she explained the unpaid bill, her family’s situation and how she didn’t know what to do, it was a no-brainer for me,” McCuen tells ABC. McCuen paid off the family’s power bill.
Thanks to McCuen’s generous donation, the power was restored in 20 minutes, and Troy was able to return home hours later.
Please SHARE this incredible act of kindness. It deserves to be recognized!